Friday, November 5, 2010

Life As An Only Child

            I have been told that sophomore year is the most challenging year of high school.  I soon realized it was true, but not because of the hours of homework I have to do, although that plays a part.  One of the reasons why I find sophomore year so different is because it is my first year of being the only child at home. That is because my brother, Ben, left for college late August.  I knew that I would miss him right away, but it took awhile for it to soak in. Well, it definitely has.
            August through October, my schedule was packed with either volleyball practice, games, or a tournament.  I never had time to relax on the couch and watch television.  Now that volleyball season is over it has hit me hard that Ben is now at college.  He used to drive me and Mike Hall home after school, and when we got home we would watch television, play the Wii, or grab our computers and sit on the couch.  Whatever I was doing he was always there with me.  Whether it was sitting on the couch next to me, or in the next room, I always knew he was there.  
            Even though I am still getting used to being the only child there are some good things about it.  The fact that I have a lot more time to myself is a good thing.  Everyone has those days when they just want to be alone.   Also, it is nice to have my parents to myself.  They do not have to worry about him and me all the time.  They have more time to spend with just me. 
            Although there are reasons why I like being an only child, there are also some bad things about it.  One reason is that when my parents are at work I am home alone.  No one is there to drive me where I need to go, play a game with me, or even just to watch television with me.  Another reason why I do not like that Ben is not here is that it causes me to have too much time to myself.  It is nice to always have someone there to do something with you.
            Even though it has been challenging to adjust to being an only child at home, it is reassuring that I’m not really an only child.  It is helpful to know that I can always text, call, or message him on Facebook.  Thankfully, there are ways to contact him whenever I need to talk to him. 

By Elizabeth Farwell 

No comments:

Post a Comment