Thursday, January 13, 2011

Food poisoning is a pain

Food poisoning is hands-down the one of the worst things that can happen to a person. It is typically caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus or E. coli that have contaminated food.
Symptoms generally begin to show within 2-6 hours. In my case, the stomach cramped and nausea began almost three hours after consumption. I tried to go to sleep, hoping I would feel better in the morning. But I was wrong. At around 12:30 a.m. the vomiting started. Eventually, it was consistent and I ended up being so dehydrated that I could barely walk on my own.
Nausea is worse than any pain in the world. Pain is something I can handle. An upset stomach, however, weakens everyone, no matter how tough they are. My mom had to take me to the emergency room at 2:45 a.m., but I had to wait for 40 minutes before they finally got me into a room. I’m not entirely sure why the girl that had a sprained ankle, who was perfectly happy got a room before the girl that kept passing out and throwing her guts up (me). You’d think they would hurry up, considering it’s an emergency room. Hence: emergency.
Either way, the nurse drew blood to test it, gave me a shot to control my nausea, and finally an IV. I was in the hospital for about four hours that morning and I spent my New Year’s alone because I wasn’t feeling up to partying, like the rest of the world. The lesson here is: don’t ever eat Wendy’s.
By Kelly Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment