Thursday, January 20, 2011

Micro Financing

Today during homeroom, I was introduced to a new idea known as micro financing. This system works with individuals or groups to fund the businesses of the less fortunate in countries such as Africa.
My homeroom teacher, Mr. Dahlman, suggested we go into this endeavor together as a homeroom, reiterating to us the fact that together we can be a strong force for good in this world. This idea struck me and I immediately knew that it was something that we could accomplish.
Later in the day it seemed like God was screaming at me when Mr. Armstrong got up in chapel and spoke on the exact same topic. He gave us specific examples of ways in which micro financing has changed the lives of many worldwide. He also told us about a nonprofit organization – Kiva – that works specifically as a mediator for those who wish to help the cause. So far Kiva has supplied nearly two-hundred million dollars for people around the world to create their own businesses and provide for themselves. This is a wonderful organization and one well worth consideration.
I am sure now that this is something that God wants me to do, whether as a group effort with my homeroom or on my own, and I strongly encourage you to look into it as well. I believe that if we put some effort into it, we could start a ripple effect that leads to a tidal wave of change for the better.
By: Anne Lehan


No comments:

Post a Comment