Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blood Drive

This year we had the blood drive, and I was able to give for the first time.  Sadly, I came extremely close to passing out.  I was fine the whole time I was waiting; I filled out my papers, I got my finger pricked so they could test it to make sure I could give blood.  Even while I was giving the blood I felt fine… that is, until the end.  When they removed the needle I started to feel faint.  My head started to spin and I lost all the color in my face.
After I drank some Gatorade I felt a little better, so they took me over to the waiting area and I ate some food and drank more water.  I felt almost completely fine after about twenty minutes and went to class.  I finished out "Understanding the Times" but I still felt a little faint so I really didn’t understand anything.  I went to English after and it was a very warm room, so I started to feel a little dizzy again.  We started on a writing prompt so it was quiet and I was very warm. Then, all of the sudden, I started feeling extremely light-headed and my vision started to fade.
Sarah Glasshagel was nice enough to walk me to the front desk, and then downstairs.  They took me back to the gym so that I could be watched by professionals in case I did end up passing out.  After about two or three more class periods I felt fine once again. 
Overall the experience was not bad. I just didn’t prepare for it the best that I could have.  But I am so glad that I was able to save up to three lives with the blood I gave.  I also got to finally know what my blood type is!  Of course, the pants and getting out of class were some nice perks too.  You should consider trying it nest year, giving blood is a simple, rewarding thing that you can do.  So why not?

By Claire Kuda

No comments:

Post a Comment