Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Westminster students journey in joining the US National Guard

I joined the Illinois Army National Guard last Thursday and Friday. It was a two-day process called MEPS that took place in Des Plaines.

On Thursday, my recruiter drove me to the MEPS site and I took the ASVAB, which is a test just to see how much general knowledge a person has. What you score on the ASVAB determines what job opportunities are available to you. After I took that test, I was transported to a hotel that the military paid for and I stayed there for the night.

The next morning, my roommate and I were awakened to a phone call at 0415 otherwise known as 4:15 in the morning. We gathered our things together and headed to the dining room for breakfast. After eating, a group of about 40 of us were transported back to the MEPS building by 0530 (5:30 am). There, we all had to go through a series of physicals. We had eye and ear exams along with, drug, pregnancy, and HIV tests.

Next, for those of us that still qualified, we had to sit down and choose a job and ship date for basic combat training. After several hours of waiting, we were finally sworn into our military branch of service and willingly signed an eight-year contract.

By Kelly Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment