Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An adopted child's view

Adoption is an amazing thing; it allows a child to grow up with a family that chose them.  I am lucky enough to be able to say that I am an example of this. 

I was adopted at birth. My birth mom had to give me up because she was 19 years old and knew that she would not be able to take care of me.  My adoptive mom told me that I was in the hospital for three days with my birth mom because I had been born by a c-section. 

My adoptive mom visited and on one of these visits she asked my birth mother,  “How could you give up something so precious?”

My birth mom said that was exactly why she could give me up, because I was too precious to raise on welfare.  Every time I think about this it brings tears to my eyes. The fact that my birth mother could make the decision to give me up so that I could have a better life is so amazing to me.  I want to find her some day and let her know what I was able to become because of her decision. 

I have grown up knowing that I was adopted and I am proud of the fact that I am.  I have had many good conversations with my mom about it and just knowing that I was chosen to be a part of the family I’m in makes me feel so special.  Adoption is truly a wonderful thing and I am proud to say that I am adopted.
By: Claire Kuda

No comments:

Post a Comment