Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snakes

Last week, I went to a National Guard recruiter and he had an office pet, a snake. This snake is named Perseus and is a baby python. He’s only seven weeks old and is so cute. I had never held a snake before so it kind of freaked me out when I found out that he’s actually pretty warm. I guess since I’ve was always taught that reptiles are cold blooded, it made sense in my head that they wouldn’t be as warm as humans or dogs.
Everyone seems to be completely disgusted by the fact that I held a snake. What’s the big deal? He’s hardly a foot long. He can’t do any damage yet. Yes, reptiles are rather creepy and the fact that he was shedding his gross skin cells all over me was not too appealing. But there’s really nothing wrong with him. The way I see it, he’s one of God’s creations. Maybe there are horror stories of snake bites and weird deaths from snakes, but everything is capable of hurting another being. There really is no need to single out certain animals and fear them or put labels on them. They do what they were created to do by nature.

By Kelly Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment