Sunday, May 8, 2011

Physics Fright

Physics class - the terror of many students at Westminster Christian School. In the minds of many underclassmen, Physics is that giant beast, lurking around the corner of senior year, waiting to dissolve their brains in mathematical quandary.

Or at least this was how I had viewed it upon entry into the class. Physics seemed daunting to me. I had heard from several classmates who had taken it the year before that it was definitely a challenging class. But I decided to dive in, not knowing if it would all go over my head or not.
As it turns out, physics has been my favorite class of senior year. It has bent and stretched my mind to its utmost limits, teaching us about universal gravitation, different dimensions, and, the most fascinating to me, black holes. Many such as myself once pictured a black hole as a mysterious monster of the universe which, if entered, could transport you to other galaxies or parallel universes. Through the wonderful class that is physics, we learned that black holes a) are not endless b) cannot transport you to other universes (though multiple universes very well may exist) and c) they WILL kill you if you dare to wander close to their gravitational field of doom. Black holes are absolutely fascinating. And just wait till you hear about Space-Time. Your mind will melt.
All of this to say, TAKE PHYSICS! I am convinced that it is one of the best classes that Westminster has to offer. It is absolutely fascinating, and makes you think deeper and harder than many others. Though it has its challenges, do not let it scare you. I highly recommend it to all incoming juniors or seniors that are willing to put in the effort, and I hope to see you all in twenty years when I’ll be only one year older thanks to space-time. Boom.
By: Anne Lehan

No comments:

Post a Comment